STEP 1: Please read all the information on this page, then use the “Application Forms” link at the bottom of this page. Additional links to study materials, exam dates, and fingerprint information are also at the bottom of this page.
STEP 2: Complete application and mail with required money order or cashier’s check to Optometry Board to be received on or before application deadline. The instructions list the required documents that must be submitted with the application.
Important Notice: Incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be returned.
STEP 3: Register with the NBEO to take the Jurisprudence Examination on or before application deadline.
Important Notice: All fees associated with the application and examination process are non-transferable and non-refundable. Once the application is accepted, fees cannot be refunded if there is a failure to complete the application process.
STEP 4: Take the Jurisprudence Examination and submit any required additional documents. Submit fingerprints as instructed on this website — the link is at the bottom of this page.
- Applications: must be received in the Texas Optometry Board office on or before the application deadline. Exams are offered each month for a period of two weeks. There are deadlines for each exam: applicants must chose an exam period and submit an application on or before the deadline of the applicable registration window.
- Jurisprudence Examination: applicants must also register on or before the application deadline with the NBEO to take the Texas Jurisprudence Exam (an on-line exam administered by the NBEO). There is a NBEO registration fee. This registration and fee is separate from any other NBEO exam registration or Texas Optometry Board application fee. The online exam administered by the NBEO may be taken at any time during the period beginning with the start date and ending two weeks later. All exams must be completed before the end date. Study materials for the exam are on this website
The link at the bottom of the page (“Application Forms”) connects to a decision tree to determine the correct form and instructions to download.
An acceptable application will include (see the application instructions):
- a completed application form,
- two photographs (passport quality)
- an official optometry school transcript, or for students in the last semester, a certificate requiring the dean’s signature and school seal, and
- application fee.
Application Forms: Acceptance Application