To download application form, use this link: Application & Instructions. A completed application consists of (requirements contained in application instructions):
- application, with every item completed;
- optometry school final transcript or certification from dean;
- two photographs (passport quality); and
- application fee (money order or cashier’s check)
Additional documents (including license verification from each state in which applicant is licensed, certified birth certificate, and certified transcript from each junior college, college or university attended) and fingerprints may be submitted after the application is submitted, but must be submitted before a license can be issued. All documentation must be original – this means no photocopies or digital printouts (including signatures).
Verify That You Have Met Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible and qualify, an applicant must:
- have graduated from an approved, accredited college of optometry (or be in the last semester and furnish certification from Dean that applicant will be graduating);
- taken and passed, or plan to take and pass, Parts I, II, and III of the NBEO (Part III on or after June, 1994);
- taken and passed, or plan to take and pass, the TMOD administered by the NBEO on or after January 1985;
- be of good moral character; and
- be of majority age
To timely register for the requested Jurisprudence Exam, the completed application and fee (see Application, below) must be received at the Board office on or before the application deadline.
NBEO Jurisprudence Exam Registration: All applicants must also timely register with the NBEO to take the Jurisprudence Exam. Use this link to register (a fee is required).
NOTICE: The application requires the submission of notarized affidavits and either a final transcript or dean’s certification. Please plan for the amount of time it takes to obtain these documents.
Study Materials: The Jurisprudence Examination covers the Texas Optometry Act, Contact Lens Prescription Act, and Board Rules. Study Materials Link
Registration with NBEO: Click to see Exam Dates and a link to initiate the required registration with the NBEO, the Jurisprudence Examination administrator.
Optometric Glaucoma Specialist
Once licensed, doctors may complete the requirements for an Optometric Glaucoma Specialist license.